Monday 15 July 2013

Gauteng Masters 9 - Trevor



Going into the final game Trevor had already won the tourney with a game to spare. I was playing for second, competing against Steven. Trevor has had a good run against me of late and I was hoping that it was over. How wrong I was! I have seldom seen him play so well.

Trev opened with REtUNED for 64. I held EGIOOW? and missed GOODWIFE for 96. Instead I played WOODIER (40). From move 4-8 Trevor played NARASES (87), HETAIRAI (72), VINY (57), TOUCH (30) and CALIX (76). The best I could manage was ZINEB for 70. As my rack matured into a bonus, Trevor played diagonally to destroy the whole board and I was left watching my own execution as if somehow separated from my body. Dylan 324 vs Trev 554. Trevor was the deserving winner of the Gauteng Masters. Steven was a worthy runner up and I came in 3rd which was lucky because I forgot my wallet at home and needed the prize money to pay for parking. Howard made a great return to form by coming 4th. Clearly I have a lot of work to do before WSC. 3 of my losses may have ended differently if I had known/seen certain words.



No comments:

Post a Comment