Saturday 27 July 2013

128 days to go

Have not been playing. Studying my ass off for SCT. Determined to get a top 30 result! Covered 15,000 bonus words since May. I started from scratch (from OTARINE onwards). It's depressing to see how much I've forgotten over time. I forget about 2%/month. So I've been looking at long-term memory techniques but that slows me down so I'm behind schedule. Need to do top 20,000 7s and 8s, all 3s, 4s and 5s in the next 128 days.

The US National Champs was won for the 4th time by Nigel Richards who narrowly beat Komol. The Collins Section was won by John O'Laughlin (inventor of Quackle). Great website thanks to John Chew. I downloaded some games. The standard is high but it's encouraging to see even the champs making mitakes.

I love Michael Thelen, inventor of Zyzzyva who brought us the meanings. It makes such a difference knowing the definitions. It has changed study from brute force rote memorisation to an interesting read. The abridged defitions can be humorous at times like "exciton" [n] the combination of an excited electron and a hole. That had me in stictches for days.

Pop quiz hotshot: find all 27 words with STEAMER+1. Hint: STEAMER goes with "MAGICKING HAPPILY INTO HOGWARTS"

No comments:

Post a Comment