Friday 5 July 2013

Germanic Genizahs

I started with XENIC for 44 and was feeling good about this game. Trev responded with ROO for 15 and I scored 21 for QI, taking a good 50 point lead. Then Trevor played GERMANiC (110) and GENIZaHS (140) back to back. Of his 9 bonuses tonight, 8 were back to back. 5/8 random racks yielded playable bonuses and they were not small - he averaged 88 per bonus!

I tried to play my way back into the game but was always about 200 behind. I played INTERNED (68) and RATAFEES (90) which I almost did not see. Luckily I remembered the stem AERATE and the mnemonic - BAKER, GIVE IT OXYGEN! I tried to open a 9-timer but Trev did not leave it open and managed to block me while scoring well.

On the final rack I missed OBJURE for 80 because I had pretty much given up. Trev played a very neat DWILES for 46 in that spot and smashed me 527-387. Before leaving Trev mentioned that my revenge would probably come in the next tournament as this winning streak of his would have to end some time. So I plan to avoid him until then :-)

 

1 comment: